Dr. Yolanda Newton, MD, FACOG
Obstetrician and Gynecologist
Dr. Yolanda M. Newton, OBGYN, has joined our team and will spearhead women’s health and obstetric services. MCHS has not had an obstetrics department in over 25 years, so it is with great excitement that this service line is deployed!
Dr. Newton is no stranger to North Dakota having served with Great Plains Women’s Health Center in Williston from 2013 to 2017. Returning to North Dakota from North Carolina, Dr. Newton served as both an OBGYN Nocturnist and Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Regarding her move to Watford City, Dr. Newton said, “I am both glad to be back in North Dakota and excited to lead the Obstetrics Department! I’m passionate about women’s health and look forward to what I can offer here.” Among Dr. Newton’s strengths are minimally invasive gynecologic surgery through advanced laparoscopy and the natural birthing process. Dr. Newton is a board-certified OBGYN who “channels her inner midwife”.
"In an effort to establish with a primary care physician after not having one for some time, I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Kiedrowski in September of 2023. He was thorough, personable, attentive and efficient. His nurse, Karlee was excellent as well. In the lab, I didn't even feel Taylor's stick or draw. From check in to check out, it was an exceptional experience, and I didn't have to leave town. I was back to work within the hour and had my lab results on EPIC's My Chart as soon as they were available. I would recommend McKenzie Health's Rural Health Center to my friends and family."
— Vawnita Best; Rural Watford City, ND
"I recently had hip replacement surgery at McKenzie Health in Watford City.
The entire experience, beginning with registration, to my primary doctor (Dr. Ramage and Maria), Dr. Johnson, Dr. Brewster in surgery scheduling, Dr. Joshi and his surgical team, the nurses on the surgical floor and physical therapists (Jess, Corey, kara and Lexyn) was all that I could ask for and more.
I felt your genuine concern for my well-being and care. You folks all deserve some recognition, so please give yourself a big pat on the back for a job well done and the service you continue to provide the citizens of western North Dakota.
We are indeed fortunate to have a facility of this caliber, along with its dedicated health professionals and employees, here in Watford City. Thank you again McKenzie Health!"
— Kent Taylor
— Patsy Levang; Keene, ND
— Ted Lone Fight III; Mandaree, ND
— Ernest Lambert; Belcourt, ND
— Marco Pelton; Watford City, ND
"In January of 2022, I slipped on the ice and broke my ankle. The initial ER visit that Thursday evening to stabilize it until surgery was efficient and the care was very good. Dr Joshi's nurse scheduled a pre-op consultation by telemed Friday morning and two hours later, Dr Joshi was conducting that consultation with me. The following Monday I had surgery to plate the break and clean and repair the damaged joint. Post-op with Dr. Joshi and his surgical team was seamless. They were caring, efficient and concise in their communication and their treatment plan. Follow-ups with Dr. Joshi and Dr. Tomjack were easy to schedule; they were on schedule, and check-in and check-outs were quick and easy, including pharmacy and insurance aspects of the user experience. All of these skilled services were high-quality, efficient, and delivered right here at home. There were no miserable vehicle transports to Bismarck, Minot, Williston, or Sidney while in pain. All the medical visits and procedures were quick, efficient and convenient, so I could get right back to healing.
Thank you McKenzie Health providers and staff. You are making a difference in the lives of McKenzie County residents and beyond."
— Vawnita Best; Rural Watford City, ND
— Kelly Peterson; Watford City, ND
— Jan Dodge; Watford City, ND
— Ron Anderson; Keene, ND
— Myra Anderson; Keene, ND
— Evelyn Wilson; Huntsville, AL
Dr. Newton has Specialized Skills in:
- Minimally invasive gynecologic surgery through advanced laparoscopy
- Laparoscopic Hysterectomies
- Vaginal Hysterectomies
- Open Hysterectomies
- Incontinence Surgery
- Natural birthing process
- Women’s Health
Awards & Accolades
- Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology — University of South Carolina
- United States Army Financial Assistance — Program Award, Post Graduate Medical Award
- Board of Governor’s Medical Scholar — Full tuition, merit award
- M.A.R.C. Research Scholar — Research Scholarship sponsored by National Institute Of General Medical Sciences, merit award
- Chancellor’s Academic Scholar — Full tuition, merit award
- Undergraduate Member of the North Carolina Academy Of Science
- PENS Research Scholar — Research stipend, merit award
Education & Certifications
- National Institutes of Health/National Cancer Institute, Research
- Residency, St. Luke’s Hospital, Bethlehem, PA
- MD, East Carolina University School of Medicine, Graduation
- Bachelor of Science, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University
- Medical Education Development Program, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Science Enrichment Program, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Biomedical Sciences Program, Meharry Medical College
Dr. Newton's Favorite Things to do:
- Spend time with her son
- Be involved in the community